I’m doing ironman in July and am faced an important question.
Do I get a time trial bike or do I keep riding my road bike? This is actually a big deal and whichever way I choose, there are some serious implications.
Not to aero (aka race on my current road bike)
- I keep my street credit with the roadies (actual cyclists)
- I save thousands of dollars
- My brakes and gears are safely side-by-side where I can reach them at all times
- I can continue to pretend I’m in the Tour de France while training
- I don’t have to get more flexible in my hips and lower back
- My bike won’t look like it melted from being in the sun too
To aero (aka race on a time trial bike I don't currently own)
- I’d have a time trial bike!
- As long as I can figure out how to ride it, I’ll be way faster
- I’ll gain street credit with triathletes
- Wearing an aero helmet wouldn’t look silly, well…as silly
- I could legitimately have an aero water bottle too
- I could pretend I’m Miranda Carfrae
- I’d be doing one thing a day that scares me, because time trial bikes are scary
As you can see – serious implications both ways. I haven’t made up my mind yet. There are a couple other options too; I could always rent a time trial bike or borrow one.
In the meantime I’ll continue to ponder, to aero or not to aero. That really is the question.